Will abandoned SOA records eventually be deleted automatically?

David Botham dns at botham.net
Fri Oct 11 20:16:15 UTC 2002

automatically?

> Situation:
>
> On Monday we switched mitchellcenter.info to a new host.  To
accomplish
> this, we changed the nameservers listed by the registrar (VeriSign).
The
> original nameservers were:
>
>     NS1.NETAXS.COM
>     NS2.NETAXS.COM
>
> The new nameservers are:
>
>     NS1.INFOQUESTHOSTING.NET
>     NS2.INFOQUESTHOSTING.NET
>
> By now, the change has propagated and most everyone who tries to go to
> www.mitchellcenter.info goes to the new site, EXCEPT for the woman
> responsible for maintaining the site.  She gets sent to the old site.
On
> investigation, it turns out that her primary DNS server is --
> NS1.NETAXS.COM
> (!!)
>
> I conjecture (and some playing around with nslookup seems to confirm)
that
> since this particular server considers itself authoritative for
> mitchellcenter.info, it never queries a root server when queried about
> that
> domain, and consequently does not know about the change in
nameservers.

Correct.  Netaxs.com should drop the zone.

> Questions:
>
> 1.  Is my conjecture correct?
> 2.  If so, will the NETAXS server eventually "figure out" that it is
no

No, name servers do not *figure out* that the zones they are loading are
not supposed to be there.  The zones are loaded due to the fact that a
*human* has configured the name server to load the zone (in named.conf).
Call the netaxs people and tell them to remove the zone from their name
servers.