Setting up DNS

aaabyss at a-aabyss.com aaabyss at a-aabyss.com
Mon Oct 14 14:33:35 UTC 2002

Basicly, you are going to need to edit the named.conf file on the primary
server to tell it that your server is the secondary for the domain. On
your server you are going to have to edit your named.conf file to say
that it is the slave for the domain, and who the master server is. Once
that is done, you will have to restart the named processes on both
servers. At that point the master server should send the zonefile to the
slave server. Whenever the zonefile gets changed on the master server and
the serial number is incrimented then it will update all the salves so
they have the same information. I will give you an example of how the
named.conf entry would look on your server:

zone "thedomain.dom" {
type slave;
file "domains/thedomain.dom";
masters {MASTER_IP_ADDRESS;};
};

The "file" line is what dictates where the zone file will actually live
or be stored. What I would suggest is copying it from one of the other
entries in the named.conf file (if any) and just changing the domain
name. If the file does not exist, it will be created in the first zone
transfer.

Be sure to increment the serial on the primary sone file.

HTH