Problems classless in-addr delegation

Michael E. Hanson MEHanson at GryphonsGate.com
Mon Oct 14 18:54:01 UTC 2002

Maybe I'm being a little archaic here, but my understanding is that you
cannot have a delegated CIDR block of three addresses.  You can have a block
of 4 addresses, of which only two are usable, or a block of 8 of which only
6 are usable, but you can't have three.

Now, looking back at my CIDR notes, I think the only valid CIDR block that
encompasses the addresses a.b.c.74,75,&76 is a.b.c.72/29, which uses
a.b.c.72 as the network address, and a.b.c.79 as the broadcast address,
leaving .73, .74, .75, .76, .77, & .78 as device (or host) addresses.  At
the /30 level, a.b.c.74 can be a device address but not a.b.c.75 (broadcast
for a.b.c.72/30) or a.b.c.76 (which is itself a network address
a.b.c.76/30).

So, regardless of whether one is using BIND or DJBDNS, is it even possible
to do what the original poster was attempting?  Or is there something I'm
missing here?

Michael E. Hanson
President, Gryphon Consulting  Services
(http://www.GryphonsGate.com)