bind-8.3.3 on redhat 5.2

Gerald Waugh gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com
Tue Oct 15 12:49:38 UTC 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Gerald Waugh wrote:

> Gerald Waugh wrote:
 > >Removed bind 4.9.7 and compiled bind 8.3.3 on a redhat 5.2 system
 > >I can't seem to get it started,

thanks to all!
When I removed 4.97, with rpm -e it removed the startup scripts.
I copied over from another 4.97 system /etc/rc.d/init.d/named
modified it to test for /etc/named.conf instead of boot
And 8.3.3 now starts up, as this is a slave, NOTIFY, AXFR and all work all
the zone files were transfered.

But I can not access the server, always connection refused!
The firewall is open for tcp/udp port 53, netstat shows it is listening.
the fqdn is fsn8.frontstreetnetworks.com the ip is 216.175.178.34
I can turn the firewall off, and I still get 'connection refused'
What am I missing?

TIA
Gerald