secondary.com gone! any free secondary NS service?

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Fri Oct 18 16:12:09 UTC 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:57:03PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:

> "Sams" <ssure at alldomainregister.com> writes:
>
> > Since "secondary.com" is aquired by ultradns.com wondering where the
> > existing users will go to?
>
> I suspect that they will largely stay where they are.  Acquired != Dead,
> after all.  Ultra told me (informally) that they intended to continue
> operating secondary.com, for the same good reasons Nominum had run it.

Indeed. secondary.com slaves two zones for me, free of charge. There
has been essentially no change in service: it's still free,
secondary.com username/passwd information was preserved, and TSIG keys were
preserved. The only change required was adding two machines to an
also-notify {} clause for each zone. As a little guy making use of a
free service, I expected to be the first to be dumped if ultradns had
bad motives. That's not happened and it looks like it's not going to.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no need to worry about secondary.com.

-P.