Strange lookup problems

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Sun Oct 20 11:00:25 UTC 2002

--On 19. oktober 2002 23:21 +0200 Dennis Kristensen <dennis at djdata.dk>
wrote:
> I have the folowing strange DNS problem.
> Locally on my DNS server  i can correctly resolve adresses for all served
> zones.
> All outside lookups gives the same answer (= the machine it self).

Hello. Just a wild guess - is your machine behind a Cisco 677 DSL-router?
(or behind any other Cisco-router with CBOS)?
If so, it's the Cisco that is mangling the packets. When it sees traffic
coming from port 53 internally going to the outside, it mangles the
contents of the DNS-packets.
One work-around is to for example run BIND on another port (for example
port 54) on the inside (perhaps in addition to the normal port 53) and then
map the external port 53 to internal port 54 on the Cisco. This seems to
prevent the packet-mangling.

If you are _not_ behind a Cisco DSL-router then I don't have any clue what
the problem can be.

--
Eivind Olsen
eivind at aminor.no