Is bind 9.2.1 allowed "_" in dns name?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Tue Oct 22 14:15:29 UTC 2002

Julie Xu wrote:
> Any one help me?
>
> I test it and it seems ok, but, I still want to know that does any
> problem occur if a SND name includes "_" or other strange characters.
>
> We want start to think about DDNS, and as I understand the bind8 have
> problem with the sign "_".

It doesn't have problems with underscores, per se; it doesn't allow
hostnames with underscores in them, by default, to protect resolvers
that might interpret the underscores specially.

> Can I get some advice about the problem when you first time use DDNS?

BIND 9 doesn't do name checking, so you can use underscores in
domain names.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/