trying to get forwarding working - domain name appended twice

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Oct 23 20:13:05 UTC 2002

Rob L wrote:
> I have a BIND 8 dns server (Solaris 8).  I'm trying to set it up to
> forward all queries to domain "me.com" to be sent to another DNS
> server that has the records for me.com.  When I set it up and try an
> nslookup for test.me.com, it doesn't work.  I do a snoop on the DNS
> server and see that the domain name has been apended twice.
> Everything has been running fine for months. My server hosts 2x zones
> and around 6 reverse records.  Any ideas?

Sounds like the resolver's search list is being applied to the queries.
Try looking up test.me.com. (with a trailing dot) to see if it works.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/