how to measure dns traffic

jose.a.campos at exxonmobil.com jose.a.campos at exxonmobil.com
Fri Oct 25 13:12:28 UTC 2002

are either of these features available with Bind 8.3.3 ?

Thanks,

Jose Campos
GIS/GIRS/NETS/GNSC/NIM/Naming Services
Phone : 713-656-1533   Fax: 713-656-0623
Internet:  Jose.A.Campos at exxonmobil.com

                      Mark_Andrews at isc.o
                      rg                       To:       "Cricket Liu" <cricket at menandmice.com>
                      Sent by:                 cc:       bind-users at isc.org
                      bind-users-bounce@       Subject:  Re: how to measure dns traffic
                      isc.org

                      10/08/02 08:32 PM

> > > Not as such, but it has zone statistics, which can tell you how many
> > > queries the name server received for records in the various zones it
> > > loads.  I suppose you could try to extrapolate "traffic" from that
(or
> > > just define "traffic" as the number of queries).
> > >
> >          There is also the query log.
>
> Wouldn't zone-statistics be a lighter-weight way to do it?

             Yes.  It was just an alternative way to do it that works with
             more releases

             Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org