Geographical dispersal of name servers.

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Wed Oct 30 18:16:43 UTC 2002

%=20
% Is there any real advantage in placing DNS servers at disparate
% geographical locations around the world?
%=20
% I have web servers located in the US which are used by customers
% located in the Far East and Australia =96 Someone suggested that we
% should site DNS servers in those geographic regions to speed up the
% resolution time.
%=20
% Perhaps I'm missing something, but I cannot see what would cause a
% Internet user located in Australia to be directed to the name server
% located in that country in preference to one located anywhere else.
%=20
% Where should I look for an explination?

geography !=3D topology

servers should be dispersed in the topology.
in as far as that also dictates geographical dispersion,
so much the better. =20

--=20
--bill