Time synchronising

James Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Mon Sep 2 13:44:30 UTC 2002

Veeraraju_Mareddi wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> How do i synchronise time on all dns servers and sendmail mail servers.
>
> If time sync is not there , DNS transfers is not happeneing.
>
> Please tell me what is the mechanism you are using for this.

If you want/need serious accurate time synchronization see:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntpfaq/NTP-a-faq.htm

Explore the http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp site for more informaion.

There is a news group, comp.protocols.time.ntp, as well.

With NTP you can "synchronize" a closed set of machines set to some
common time or to UTC.  It is possible to get submilisecond accuracy,
but I tend to see +- 5ms depending upon network traffic load.

NTP has many rather complex options, so expect a fair amount of reading
and study.  Have fun with it.

There are "light weight" schemes for timekeeping, but I have little
experience with them.

Hope this helps.

Jim

> Thank you very much.