ccTLD not using BIND

Sebastian Castro secastro at nic.cl
Mon Sep 2 22:18:50 UTC 2002

Hi All:

I hope I'm using the right mailing list :)

Recently I asked about experiencies about using djbdns (aka tinydns) as
an authoritative nameservers for any ccTLD.

Now I'm asking to all of you to share your impressions and opinions
about some of the non-free alternatives to BIND.

At .CL ccTLD we have received offers from Josh Elliot, inviting us to
use UltraDNS service. They claim to be scalable, reliable and faster
than BIND. Moreover, they have affirmed that BIND fails to answer
between 2 to 5 percent of queries. I haven't found anything to confirm
or deny this proposition.

I made some kind of bechmark using BIND 9 and BIND 8 in a Linux box,
using about a millon of queries, and the test didn't report any failure
(queries without answer).

So, I came here to the Olympus of DNS knowledge, to find light among the
darkness :)

I hope anyone can help or give me some advice (or references).

Best Regards

Sebastian E. Castro Avila             sebastian at nic.cl
Administrador de DNS, NIC Chile

Agustinas 1357 Piso 4
Santiago, Chile Cod. Postal 6500587
Phone: +56-2-9407705                  Fax  : +56-2-9407701