Large Zone transfer from Bind 8/9 - W2K

Stanley Liu stanley.liu at toyota.com.au
Thu Sep 5 07:56:27 UTC 2002

Danny,

> At 08:47 PM 9/4/02, Jeffery Jones wrote:
> >     I have since gone back and confirmed that the large zone transfers
> >properly from a Bind 9 master at T-1 speeds.   I am unable to upgrade
> >the Bind 8.33 master to a Bind 9.2.0 master because it eventually
> >stops resolving external zones under Win32.   Does the current beta
> >release candidate BIND 9.2.2rc1 correct this problem under Win32?
>
> I am unaware of any problem that would cause it to stop resolving external
> zones under Win32.  How do you know that it isn't?  Did you run dig
against
> the box and get timeouts instead of a response? Did you use fully
qualified
> domain names? Are the authorative nameservers lame? Do you have a
> firewall problem? Are all queries to external zones timedout or just some
of
> them?

I do experience the problem Jeffery highlighted above: BIND9.2.1 for NT
stops to resolve external zones after a while.  Sometimes it stops resolve
even local zones.  If you look at the NT service console, the ISC BIND
service is still running but it just times out (?) all queries.  I run dig
against the box using fully qualified domain names (external and local) with
no firewall in between.  I've posted here before and couple of guys reported
that it was a known problem and recommended to go back to BIND8.3.3.  It was
very tempting but I've decided to give BIND 9.2.2rc1 a try and so far (about
a week) so good.

Judging from your response, Danny, you don't seem to be aware of such a
problem.  You've got me worry now (about eliminating the problem using
BIND9.2.2rc1).

Regards,

Stanley Liu
stanley.liu at toyota.com.au