Bind crashed... can't figure out why

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Sep 9 02:08:16 UTC 2002

> Sometime last night, Bind stopped working.  When a couple people came
> to our computer lab, they could not access the internet (we have our
> own bind server inside the lab).  Also, i could not connect to the lab
> remotely.
>
> The only thing out of ordinary i see in the error log is this:
>
> Sep  7 01:58:02 brave named[28062]: Cleaned cache of 1150 RRsets at
> 2:00 AM in the morning (nobody is in the lab at this time)

	This doesn't indicate anything.  The lifetime of cache entries
	is anything up to 7 days.

> Here is the rest of the error log:

	Nothing interesting there.  Look for a core dump in the directory
	specified in named.conf (note -u disables code dumps as a side effect
	of the setuid call though some OS's have switches to disable this
	side effect).

	Also you failed to specify the version of named you are running.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org