BIND version and Resolver Support for dynamic Update?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 9 09:59:00 UTC 2002

Nitin Khurana wrote:

>  Is this a problem of the resolver version on the Linux 6.2??
> How can I find the version of the resolver support on a linux machine??

In general you'd have to look at the executable and see how it
is linked to be sure, but in most cases I think Linux
distributions are using GNU libc not ISC code, although I assume
the GNU people could borrow code from what I know of the
licencing of the ISC code. Certainly Redhat wasn't immediately
vulnerable to recent ISC resolver library problems due to using
different code.

Anyway my nsupdate (Rehat 7.0) links /lib/libresolv.so.2, which
you can get the package version from "rpm -qf
/lib/libresolv.so.2". I guess have a look at relevant
/lib/libresolv* files.

I've not heard of Redhat 6.2 (I'm guess Redhat as Linux is at
2.5 still AFAIK) nsupdate not working, and a quick strace of the
code suggests the resolver only has to perform normal resolver
functionality when running nsupdate, as the magic appears to be
done by "sendmsg", which is probably fairly safe to assume is
relatively solid.

You sure you haven't just misconfigured it?