dynamic dns/dhcp

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 9 23:21:03 UTC 2002

rrod wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have found a lack of information on the web on the topic of creating dynamic dns/dhcp under the linux platform.
>
> Can anyone help me with instructions or a link to some documentation on the topic ?
>
> I am running Bind 9.2 and I was hoping to use the ISC DHCP as my dhcp server.
>
> My goal is to make the two work together in order to have the DHCP server pass information off to the named server to automatically create dns records for all the clients who receive a dhcp address on the network.

There are two parts to this: you need to configure the DHCP server to *generate* the Dynamic Update requests, and you need to configure the DNS server to *accept* the Dynamic Update requests from the DHCP server. The
documentation for each part is found in the DHCP and the BIND documentation, respectively.