Bind ?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Sep 10 23:55:31 UTC 2002

At 07:58 AM 9/9/02, Thomas wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have bind 9.2 running but I am unclear on how I can stop using my
>etc/host file on the local PC's.  For example the DNS PC is named
>testlinux.  In the etc/hosts file I can put "test" and IP addtess of
>"192.169.29.1" and when I type test in the browser this is where I go
>on the local network.  When I add a entry to DNS with the proper
>reverse lookup I need to add the test.testlinux for it to work.  I
>want it to work like the etc/hosts file with out the .testlinux.  Is
>there an easier way?  Could the etc/hosts file on the DNS server
>resolve local internal addresses for other PC's?  There must be
>something I'm missing.
>
>Thanks for any help in advance.
>
>Tom

This is very unclear.  Are you running Windows on the PC's? If yes then you
need to either put the host information in the DNS that it uses or at least
add the required search list in the Advanced network control panel.

The DNS server doesn't know or care about it's local etc/hosts file and
doesn't use it. If you want the DNS server to resolve local internal addresses
for the PC's you need to set up a zone for them.

Danny