dig problems

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Sep 12 00:05:25 UTC 2002

Robert Graham wrote:

> In the distro I'm using, dig is packaged in the same RPM as BIND9.
>
> Now to my question: using dig, I'm trying to axfr a large domain (a
> national ISP). It always results in the following error:
>
> ;; communications error to x.x.x.x#53: end of file
>
> It would seem to be an overflow. But, how do I get the information I
> need? Loading the zone as a slave would seem to be silly just to look up
> some host info. Anyone have any ideas?

Do you get at least _part_ of the zone transfer? "End of file" implies to
me that the other end is closing the connection prematurely. Maybe they're
having some sort of resource issues.

Why do you need a zone transfer? If your server is just making occasional
queries in their zone, why not just let them be resolved normally? I don't
know that setting yourself up as a slave would really help you anyway: a
slave relies on zone transfers, so if those are "always" failing, you're
screwed regardless...