cleaning named file

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Sep 13 14:58:16 UTC 2002

Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net> replied:

>Why? This has nothing to do with BIND.

It does if, for example, a config file or a zone file is created on a
PC and then moved to Unix via some method that does not remove the
carriage returns.  I routinely copy PC files to a floppy at home and
load the files on my desktop Solaris workstation at work via "cp".
This method does not remove the carriage return (<cntl-m>) characters.
The subject line leads me to believe that Dean Carrera has such a
BIND file.

One answer is

Where the sequence "^V^M" is <cntl-v> followed by <cntl-m>.
The <cntl-v> is the escape for <cntl-m> so that the <cntl-m> is not
treated as a carriage return.  This command will remove <cntl-m>
chars at the end of lines.  Other <cntl-m> characters will remain
intact.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov