Accounting for Dynamic Updates (Who let the dogs out?) Bind9

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Sep 20 17:05:49 UTC 2002

	Is there a way in bind9 to figure out who dynamically
deleted a specific A record?

	The book DNS And Bind 4TH Edition acknowledges that bind
8 DNS's make a journal file that is human-readable and bind 9
servers don't.  That's nice to know, but is there any way to look
back at any resource and see that 192.198.0.5 deleted or modified
the A record for such-and-such a system at some time?

	We have a classic situation in which a client who is to
put it bluntly difficult to deal with, may have deleted his own
record and I would dearly love to show him the log or, for that
matter, find out that maybe I had an accident and maybe how it
happened so it doesn't happen again.  Either way, it is better to
have it right there in a log than to guess at what may have
happened.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group