force root servers to update IP number of host record

Aviram Carmi aviram at overthenet.com
Sat Sep 21 23:30:46 UTC 2002

Hi all,

First, I am not very familiar with DNS/Bind/root servers etc, even
though it might look like I do... so please be very detailed with your

In anticipation of moving to a new office, I put a domain name server
on the new network, so now I have two NS1.OTN.COM, one with the old IP
 216.89.30.3 still on the old network and one with the new ip
216.72.86.3 on the new network

I've changed my zone files on both servers to the new IP

I've changed the DNS/HOST IP numbers with OpenSRS, filled the NetSol
HOST FORM, and also with GANDI (these are all the registrars I use)

however, the root servers still answer with the old IP number....

and the TTL seems to be static, i.e. it does not count down.

How do I force the Root Servers to recognize the change?

Or will it automatically happen after few days?

I sort of recall that last time I move my office and changed IP
numbers (about 6 years ago), I had to do a repeated nslookup query,
which seemed to have accelerated the TTL count down, but this did not
seem to help this time, the TTL at the root server refuses to budge...

Thanks,

-avi

here are nslookup and whois results:

<nslookup:ns1.otn.com/*/A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET>

Non-authoritative answer:
ns1.otn.com                   A     172800  216.89.30.3

Authority:
otn.com                       NS    172800  ns1.otn.com
216.89.30.3  <-- old stale info
otn.com                       NS    172800  NS2.otn.com
216.89.31.3
NSLookup normal completion.

<nslookup:ns1.otn.com/*/G.GTLD-SERVERS.NET>

Non-authoritative answer:
ns1.otn.com                   A     172800  216.89.30.3

Authority:
otn.com                       NS    172800  ns1.otn.com
216.89.30.3 <-- old stale info
otn.com                       NS    172800  NS2.otn.com
216.89.31.3
NSLookup normal completion.

nslookup at of my own server seems to be OK:

<nslookup:ns1.otn.com/*>

Authoritative answer:
ns1.otn.com                   A     3600    206.72.86.3

Authority:
otn.com                       NS    3600    ns1.otn.com
206.72.86.3  <--- correct
otn.com                       NS    3600    ns2.otn.com
216.89.31.3
NSLookup normal completion.

Whois info is correct, and reflects the new IP number:
<whois://otn.com@216.40.33.39>

Registrant:
 Over TheNet (r)
 PO BOX 1499