Peculiar problem with Earthlink's nameservers

Mark Hittinger bugs at pu.net
Mon Sep 23 00:17:44 UTC 2002

>Gary M writes:
>On our campus, name resolution stopped working for `bibleworks.com'.
>When I query one of their nameservers, 207.69.188.200, from our campus
>network, the query times out.  When I do the same query from my cable
>modem network at home, 24.85.0.0, it succeeds.
>However, I can resolve `bibleworks.com' from our campus network,
>130.179.0.0, by querying another Earthlink nameserver, 207.217.126.41.
>This makes no sense to me.

The 207.68.188.200 server is in the Atlanta/Mindspring half of the brain
and the 207.217.126.41 is in the Pasadena/Earthlink half of the brain.

It was my experience that the DNS servers in Atlanta often suffered from
routing problems and network problems that often could be resolved by
rebooting switches and/or servers.

Its not worth trying to figure out and its probably a good idea to use the
other server (or the servers of a different site).

Later

Mark Hittinger
bugs at pu.net