force root servers to update IP number of host record

Aviram Carmi aviram at overthenet.com
Mon Sep 23 16:23:05 UTC 2002

At 8:13 AM +0000 on 9/22/02 you wrote:

>  Aviram Carmi <aviram at overthenet.com> wrote:
>

>>  Hi all,
>
>>  First, I am not very familiar with DNS/Bind/root servers etc, even
>>  though it might look like I am... so please be very detailed with your
>
>>  In anticipation of moving to a new office, I put a domain name server
>>  on the new network, so now I have two NS1.OTN.COM, one with the old IP
>>    216.89.30.3 still on the old network and one with the new ip
>>  216.72.86.3 on the new network
>
>>  I've changed my zone files on both servers to the new IP
>
>>  I've changed the DNS/HOST IP numbers with OpenSRS, filled the NetSol
>>  HOST FORM, and also with GANDI (these are all the registrars I use)
>
>>  however, the root servers still answer with the old IP number....
>
>>  and the TTL seems to be static, i.e. it does not count down.
>
>>  How do I force the Root Servers to recognize the change?
>
>>  Or will it automatically happen after few days?
>
>>  I sort of recall that last time I move my office and changed IP
>>  numbers (about 6 years ago), I had to do a repeated nslookup query,
>>  which seemed to have accelerated the TTL count down, but this did not
>>  seem to help this time, the TTL at the root server refuses to budge...
>
>  You missed to remove your old "gluerecords" for :
>  NS1.otn.com.            2D IN A         216.89.30.3
>  NS2.otn.com.            2D IN A         216.89.31.3
>
>  you will have to delete these , then add new ones
>  with the new ip-addresses.

Thanks, but how do I do this?  I have not got a clue...

what is a "glue record" by the way?

I did fill a "HOST FORM" with Network Solution, is this what you
mean?  Idid not delete, I just sent a  "MODIFY" with the new IP
address.

-avi

Aviram Carmi                                    +---------------+ tm
                                                 |    O v e r    |
Executive Vice President, Technology            |  -----------  |
(805) 384-1144 Voice                            |  T h e N e t  |
(805) 384-9111 FAX                              +---------------+
                                        Building Profitable Web Sites Today

PO Box 1499                                   http://www.otn.com/
Camarillo, CA 93011-1499

(c) Copyright 2002, Over TheNet.  All rights reserved.