BIND 8.3.3 weird behaviour

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Sep 23 20:46:06 UTC 2002

Original Rudebwoy <rudebwoy at jamaicans.com> wrote:

> I'm running BIND 8.3.3 on Solaris 8, I'm getting strange results for
> one domain that we try to send mail to. When I do a "dig
> mail.jp-group.com" the first time I get an authoritative answer shown
> in Example 1. But if I issue the same command above, after issuing a
> "dig mx jp-group.com"  I end up with non-authoritative resopne which
> includes a CNAME record which points to jp-group.com as shown in
> Example 2. What is weird about this, is that there is no CNAME records
> for mail.jp-group.com according to the authoritative server
> ns1.netnation.com as shown in Example 3.

> The reason I need to resolve this, is because when sending mail to
> user at jp-group.com I'm connecting to 204.174.223.17 which doesnt accept
> mail for that domain rather than 209.17.183.209 which does accept mail
> for jp-group.com.

> Any help would be appreciated, otherwise my only fix is to create the
> zone jp-group on my DNS server.
The servers :
jp-group.com.           1d23h57m32s IN NS  NS2.NETNATION.com.
jp-group.com.           1d23h57m32s IN NS  NS1.NETNATION.com.

seem to load both a CNAME
;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.jp-group.com.      1H IN CNAME     jp-group.com.
jp-group.com.           1H IN A         204.174.223.17

and an 'A' record, which violates standards and is just plain wrong.
;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.jp-group.com.      56m37s IN A     209.17.183.209

Tell the admins that what they do is unneeded and will only create problems
for them.

--
Peter Håkanson