messages log entries.

Saad Kadhi bsdguy at docisland.org
Sat Sep 21 18:31:02 UTC 2002

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 01:36:52PM -0400, Grant Peel wrote:
> I have a box with about 300 domains on it. Some of these domains are
> associated with companies that have thier own servers and LANs in house. I
> am not sure that this is relevent to my question, but here it goes.
>
> I keep seeing this log entry in my /var/log/messages file, for a counple of
> different domains. Can anyone tell me what is going on here?
>
> > Sep 20 16:14:03 enterprise named[60208]: client 142.194.174.223#3156:
> update 'candigsys.com/IN'
> denied
I also have these messages. after some investigation, I found the culprit. it
is a Win2k box that one of my coworkers put in one of my domains. it is getting
its IP addr from dhcp and whenever it does it tries to update a record for
itself on that particular domain. which is plain crazy since I don't allow
dynamic updates to this domain.

This is the default behavior on Win2k. You can turn it off from the TCP/IP
properties->Advanced->DNS.

Just my 0.02euros.

--
Saad Kadhi