Newbie: DHCP & Dynamic DNS

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Sep 26 17:30:17 UTC 2002

> I have spent a couple of days looking at DHCP & Dynamic DNS. The both
> DHCP and DNS are working OK but I cannot get the DNS to be updated.
>
> To get me started I used Linuxconf as it allowed the option of dynamic
> update. Below are the dhcpd.conf and the named.conf that were
> generated.
>
> dhcpd.conf
> ***********************************
> ### Managed by Linuxconf, you may edit by hand.
> ### Comments may not be fully preserved by linuxconf.
>
> default-lease-time 1200;
> max-lease-time 9200;
> option domain-name "mydomain.uk";
> option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
> subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0{
> range  10.0.0.130 10.0.0.254;
> default-lease-time 1200;
> max-lease-time 9200;
> }
> ***********************************
> When I first tried starting dhcpd the following two lines caused and
> error so I removed them.
>
> server-identifier dhcp1;
> ddns-update-style ad-hoc;

I think the recommended update style is "interim."

You should also add zone statements telling the DHCP server where
the primary master name server for the zones are.  I posted an example
of the relevant sections of dhcpd.conf to this newsgroup recently.

> named.conf
> ***********************************
> options {
> directory "/var/named";
> };
> //
> // a caching only nameserver config
> //
> controls{
> inet 127.0.0.1 allow{
> localhost;
> } keys{
> rndckey;
> };
> };
> key "rndckey"{
> algorithm hmac-md5;
> secret "IYkEptVmojbeVKOUSkF0gMePldkVqLLjMDzhyh0EqATBF0kBcsurZyksJkS";
> };
> zone "." {
> type hint;
> file "named.ca";
> };
> zone "localhost" in{
> type master;
> file "localhost.zone";
> allow-update{
> none;
> };
> };
> zone "mydomain.uk" {
> type master;
> file "mydomain.uk";
> };
> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in{
> type master;
> file "named.local";
> allow-update{
> none;
> };
> };
> zone "0.0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
> type master;
> file "10.0.0.0";
> };
> I believe that in here I need to add 'allow-update{10.0.0.1}' the
> forward and reverse zones. Is this correct?

Yes.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/