Split roots (was: Can someone explain forwarders and why I don't need them?)

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Aug 1 11:27:22 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:45:46AM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
[He has 20+ organisation with disparate name servers, does not want to
have a central name server with forwarding, and can not persuade his
organisations to accept pre-defined zones.]

I have 40-50 organisations inside a private internet with multiple
TLDs.  The original design was to ship each group a BIND 4 file which
tricked DNS into knowing where all the internal name servers were.
Problems included the facts that each site had to re-compile BIND 4
specially for this, not all sites used BIND, BIND 4 became obsolete,
and people just didn't update their files.

We now have a central name server to which people forward all non-local
queries.  Not at all inefficient.  Problems: avoiding forwarding loops
when people drop reverse zones without telling me, and people not
telling me when they change their name servers.  In retrospect, maybe I
should have used stubs instead of forwarding.  But I got forwarding
working first; and stubs still had a lingering possible problem with
contamination from external DNS information.  ;-)

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B