Bind and Windows XP problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 5 00:21:28 UTC 2003

The nslookup failure implies that a reverse-resolution of the address
10.0.0.8 is not working from the client. The failure to ping via
FQDN from the client implies that forward resolution of
thorgal.wauters-mannaert.be is not working from the client. The most
obvious commonality is the nameserver itself, but local queries work, so
that, in turn, points the finger of blame at some form of network
(dis)connectivity.

Enable query logging to see if the queries are actually getting to the
server from the client.

If they aren't, then, optionally, start sniffing packets to see if
they're actually arriving.

If not, then check the settings on your "router" (I suspect you're not
actually *routing* between 10.0.0.10 and 10.0.0.8, but merely using the
router's built-in switch ports). Maybe you're accidentally blocking or
dropping UDP.

- Kevin