Parent - child zone confusion (mine!!).

as@NOSPAMfreenet.co.uk as at freenet.co.uk
Tue Aug 5 11:18:55 UTC 2003

Hi,

I am new to BIND and am running version 9.2.2 on an XP box.

The slight problem I have is with name confusion. My parent zone lists
ns1.activitae.com as being the nameServer for slaney.org.uk, which is as it
should be. Both activitae.com and slaney.org.uk are set up as master zones
on my machine and point to the same IP address. The zone activitae.com
passes checks OK at dnsreport.com However slaney.org.uk causes dnsreport.com
to file an error.

The error is "ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent
servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS
records are:
ns1.activitae.com."
Apparently BIND responds as if it is a name server called ns1.slaney.org.uk

My zone configuration file for slaney.org.uk is:
$TTL 7200
@  IN SOA ns1.activitae.com.      hostmaster.activitae.com.   (
                 2003080507        ; Serial number
                 7200                     ; Refresh
                 3600                      ; Retry
                 777600                   ; Expire
                 3600        )             ; Minimum TTL
NS          ns1
 A             80.177.4.228
MX             10 mail
  NS             ns1.quadaenterprises.com.
ftp              A         80.177.4.228
mail            A         80.177.4.228
ns1             A         80.177.4.228
www          A         80.177.4.228
ns1.quadaenterprises.com   A  66.112.55.16

Any ideas where I have got it wrong? All help appreciated guys!

Angela