Dynamic replies from bind

Neil Ferguson bluegremlin at netvis.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 19:17:08 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:18:42 -0700, Paul wrote:

> I'm running bind 9.22 and I want it  to respond differently based on
> the ip thats quering it, so like if an ip in  192.168.1.x/24 queried
> it it'd return somethign different than if 192.168.2.x/24 queried it?
>
> Anyone have any ideas how to do this?
>
> -Paul Swinderman

Sadly I'm no DNS expert, but I thought I may as well suggest a possible
alternative solution.  If you have the resources, could you run two copies
of BIND on non standard ports?  Assuming you have it available, you could
then use iptables to port forward incoming requests to the appropriate
port based on their source address.  That way you can forward
192.168.1.x/24 to port 52 which hands out one set of addresses, and
192.168.2.x/25 to port 54 (which hands out another).

That might be a stupid suggestion (can you tell I'm a n00b), but it sounds
good to me - any thoughts anybody?

Cheers,

Neil