BIND8 &BIND9 Notify

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Aug 5 22:57:38 UTC 2003

> I am having similar problem,
>
>     What is the best way to synchronize the zone with bind9, in case the
> client is the master and has misconfigured his zone serial number and
> has something lower than slave but with a uptodate rrs. I used to force
> the zone transfer on Bind8 with named-xfer manually -s 0 and then do ndc
> reload, it re-read the file and set the lower serial which was on the
> master server, and it was fine. With Bind 9, deleting or refreshing zone
> will not help since serial is lower then slave has. Do I really have to
> stop, delete the file and start ?
>
> ......... changing the serial on the master side to higher than slave
> will definitely solve it , but I recommended to the customer to stick to
> YYYYMMDDXX format which was lower than the slave had.
>
> Ladislav

	Just rollover the serial number.

	Add 0x7fffffff (2147483647) to the current serial number.

	Wait for the slave(s) to catch up.

	If the number is less than 4150564249 add another 0x7fffffff
	(2147483647) and wait for the slave(s) to catchup.

	Make the serial 2003080600.

	(gdb) print (unsigned)2003080600-0x7fffffff
	$1 = 4150564249

	e.g.
	2003010100 + 0x7fffffff > 4150493747
	4150493747 + 0x7fffffff > 2003010098