Domains with multiple hosts being improperly cached. [BIND 9.2.2]

Ketil Froyn bind at ketil.froyn.name
Thu Aug 7 17:53:32 UTC 2003

On 7 Aug 2003 martin at simaltech.com (Martin Glaude) wrote:

> The problem is that I can query for the "domain.com" address and get a
> proper response (after a brief delay).  However, if I then query for
> "www.domain.com", I get a SERVFAIL error immediately - as though the
> local computer never queried the server.  The reverse case
> ("www.domain.com" then "domain.com") still results in a success on the
> first query, then failures.  Queries to the second domain only seem to
> work after the cache-time of the first one has expired and things start
> from fresh once again.

The error is probably related to the "." after the IP in the NS record,
some resolvers will not be able to handle that. In general, an NS entry
must point to a domain, and with the "." there, and the domain
"66.206.231.25." doesn't exist.

You probably want this:

simaltech.com.          IN      NS      ns1.simaltech.com.
simaltech.com.          IN      NS      ns2.simaltech.com.
ns1.simaltech.com.	IN	A	66.206.231.25
ns2.simaltech.com.	IN	A	66.206.231.25

And you probably should not use CNAME for all those other names, just use
A records and point them to the correct IP. My guess is that CNAME does
more than you realise.

Ketil Froyn
ketil at froyn.name
http://ketil.froyn.name/