secondary server install

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Fri Aug 8 14:01:40 UTC 2003

In article <bgvllh$og3$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Bill Friedman  <_billf at lfnetworking.com> wrote:
>This is my first BIND install....a few questions.
>
>1. Is it okay to run different versions of BIND on master and slave
>servers, e.g. 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 respectively? I'd just as soon not upgrade
>the existing server if not necessary.

Sure.  It would be pretty difficult for ISPs to provide secondary DNS
services if they had to ensure that *all* their customers were running the
same version of BIND as they were.  In fact, a large number of our
customers aren't even running BIND at all -- Windows 2000 DNS has become
very popular in the past few years.

This is why we have network protocols -- they specify how network
applications communicate, and any implementations that conform can be used.

>I've built and installed 9.2.2 on the secondary, an RH7 box.
> Interestingly, no init script or named.conf file was installed so I
>just copied from existing master server and created hard link from
>/usr/local/sbin installed files to /usr/sbin which is what init script
>looks into.
>
>I also copied the zone db files from the existing server.
>
> From what I've read so far, in this doc,
>http://www.linuxhq.com/ldp/howto/DNS-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.6, it appears I
>only need to alter the named.conf as follows.  I substituted slave for
>master wherever it appears in named.conf, and added the master servers
>ip address to the allow-transfer list.  The other ip addresses are the
>isps nservers.

No, you should put the master server's IP in the "masters" clause.  You don't
need "allow-transfer" on the slave, because the ISP's servers will continue
transfering from the master, not the slave.

>zone "mydomain.com" in {
>        type slave;
>        file "db.mydomain";
>        notify no;
>        allow-transfer {
>                192.168.0.5;
>                206.228.179.10;
>                144.228.254.10;
>                144.228.255.10;
>        };
>};

zone "mydomain.com" in {
  type slave;
  file "db.mydomain";
  notify no;
  masters { 192.168.0.5; };
};

>Is that all there is to it?  What sort of logging entries am I looking
>for to make sure the replication works?

If you see log messages from the slave reporting errors in "xfer" or
"refresh", then there's a problem.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA