name server vs client

Herb Martin news at LearnQuick.com
Sat Aug 9 07:52:23 UTC 2003

> I am trying to setup a DNS for my domain.  As I understand it, I have
> to register a name server with my registrar (and obviously the domain
> name itself).  Once I do this I need to configure my server.

If you want to publish resource servers on the Internet you need to
do that -- register your name with a Registrar -- if you are new
running a small to medium business you might be better off to just
use a registrar that will host the DNS for you (.e.g., Register.Com)
and just use their web interface to edit it.

No separate, public DNS "SERVER" is needed in this scenario --
you use theirs.  About $30 a year all inclusive and you pay most
of that for the name registration anyway.

If you need DNS name resolution INTERNALLY you may however
still need a DNS server.

> I am running redhat 7.3 and webmin to do the configuration.  My
> question is this.  What do I use as the DNS CLIENT?  Right now, the

Any application that uses Internet-styled (DNS) named resources;
WWW (your browser), your ftp client, your email, etc., is the client.

Most people think of the machine doing these as the client but the
distinction between the machine and the specific application using
named resources is usually small.

> first server is 127.0.0.1 and names are getting resolved just fine.

You cannot use the number for any client -- EXCEPT the same
machine that is holding the DNS server.  127.0.0.1 always means
"same machine" or what is usually termed "localhost".

You need the real address for the machine.  If you will be on the
Internet directly you must get these from your ISP (or their DHCP
server automatically when you dial or use their network.)

If you are not connected to the Internet you can use any number
from several ranges, so try 192.168.1.x where x is different for
each of your INTERNAL (only) machines.
You will need a mask too, if you use those addresses then use
255.255.255.0  or sometimes written as /24, e.g., 192.168.1.1/25

> There are two other servers, are my ISP's name servers.  Should they
> go first?

192.168.1.2 mask 255.255.255.0 and/or 192.168.1.3/24

> I ask this question because I have added a master zone and an A record
> for this zone.  I try to query the server from an external source, but
> the answer I get seems to be from the client... how do I get the
> server to give a responce not from the client, but from the records I
> add?

Use valid addresses, configure each client and the server(s) to be on
the same address range, and make sure each client (including the
servers -- they are clients too) uses the DNS server's address in its
 properties for that setting.

> Thanx so much for your time!
> Julia

Ok.