MX Record: 2 records for the same computer name?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at verizon.net
Sat Aug 9 01:41:14 UTC 2003

Trandar wrote:

> What I am trying to accomplish is to have 2 MX records with different
> IPs for the same host.  I would like to know if this is possible?  If
> I switch to the backup DSL line the exchange servers withh have
> different IPs, I would still like mail to get through, but the MX
> records will be still pointing to the main DSL line IPs.

This is fine, and not uncommon in sites where the server may have
multiple ports. You want to be careful that the server is configured to
deal with all incoming mail via other IP hostname or MX record, so it
doesn't try to relay mail to itself under its other name.

But that's an SMTP configuration issue, not a DNS one.