dns notify

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Aug 12 15:45:54 UTC 2003

AMANI M. BINSEWAIF <OCEAN at eim.ae> wrote:
> hi,
> I am trying to test dns notify, I read rfc1996 and i add the notify yes=
=20
> set as per zone but still not  working when i test it between master an=
d=20
> slave
> after I increase the serial no.

> zone "xx.ae"{
>         type master;
>         notify yes;
>         file "master/db.xx.ae";
> };

Reading from the bind-9.2.2 manual :
notify

    If yes (the default), DNS NOTIFY messages are sent when a zone the se=
rver is authoritative for
    changes, see Section 3.3. The messages are sent to the servers listed=
 in the zone's NS records (except
    the master server identified in the SOA MNAME field), and to any serv=
ers listed in the also-notify
    option.=20

    If explicit, notifies are sent only to servers explicitly listed usin=
g also-notify. If no, no notifies
    are sent.=20

    The notify option may also be specified in the zone statement, in whi=
ch case it overrides the
    options notify statement. It would only be necessary to turn off this=
 option if it caused slaves to
    crash.

So a combination of :
	notify explicit;
	also-notify ip1;ip2;

would do the job for you.

> messages from logs
> Aug 12 11:36:23 ns9 named[21185]: [ID 295310 daemon.info] Sent NOTIFY=20
> for "xx.ae IN SOA 2" (xx.ae); 2 NS, 2 A

> and I want the dns notify to notify only specific ips of slaves server=20
> not any other slaves  from outside.

> --=20
> Thanks=20

> ams

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,