3 NXDOMAIN for *some* reverse lookups

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Aug 13 21:51:48 UTC 2003

> Hi,
>
> I got a zone file with hosts within 192.168.0.1/24
> Most reverse lookups work, but some don't. I do not see any logical =
> scheme.
>
> Example: host 192.168.0.1 is resolved. .2 and .3 do so, too. .4 gives me =
> an "Host 4.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)". .5 and .6 =
> work again and so on.
> They are all in the same DNS-domain. Of course PTRs exist, A record, =
> too.
>
> I use bind 9.2.1
>
> Thanks, Helmut

	NXDOMAIN indicates that there is no entry in the DNS for the
	given name (4.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa).

	If you want to know more than that use dig which prints the whole
	answer.  I also suggest that you query each of the servers in
	/etc/resolv.conf.  They should all be giving the same answer if
	you want consistant results.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org