Creating cname

Sharon sharon_mccaughan at dell.com
Wed Aug 20 16:33:32 UTC 2003

Hi,

When I create a cname for a server it creates ok on my primary dns
server.It creates ok and I can ping it and it responds successfully.
However, when I try to connect to it I get a 'You are not connected
because a duplicate name exists on the network' error. This server I
must add is a new server replacing an old one, hence the same name on
the network again. However, I get the same error if I create a cname
for any machine at all. I do not have any other cname records. The DNS
server has been up and running for some time now and this is the only
problem I have come across. There is nothing in the event logs to help
me out. Any pointers are well and truely appreciated.

Many thanks to all.