What's the technical RFC allowed way to do this?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 20 19:49:42 UTC 2003

Matt wrote:

> Hello,
> Here's a question to which I've received different answers and I'm
> hoping to be able to get a straight answer.
>
> The domain yadda.com
> Am I allowed via RFCs and such to point yadda.com to the yadda website?
>   Or must I point www.yadda.com to the website?
>
> I was under the impression that domain names were not to be used for
> that but rather hostnames were (www.yadda.com).

There is no RFC that says a domain/zone name can't own an A record
pointing to a website (or to anything else, for that matter), and in fact
this is very common.

You'll only run into problems if you try to point a zone-apex name at a
website via a CNAME. The name of a zone cannot own a CNAME record, because
any name that owns a CNAME record can't own any other records, and by
definition a zone name must own an SOA and at least 2 NS records.