Strange nsupdate results.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 26 19:59:32 UTC 2003

Steven Job wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.
> I am running bind-9.2.2.
>
> I have a script that changes the IP by sending an nsupdates (two lines, one to remove the old ip and one to add it back with the new IP).
>
> For some reason (once in a blue moon it looks like) the first IP never is removed and it just ends up created multiple A records.  Which is obviously wrong.
>
> I did not have this problem at bind-9.2.1.  But the strange thing is that I can not duplicate it when I want. I sent over 100,000 updates and it worked fine.  But after a day or so I will see it pop up again.
>
> Is this something that is known or is something wrong on my end.  Is there some extra verbosity I can set (other than rndc querylog) for nsupdate?

Are you using the "-d" option to nsupdate? Save off the nsupdate "-d" output and that should help you narrow down the problem.

Also, in the interim and depending on your requirements, you may want to consider setting a prerequisite on the "add" part of the transaction. (Depends on whether it's worse to have multiple A records or no A
records at all for a given name).