Mirroring DNS masters

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Aug 26 21:08:33 UTC 2003

Dan Brown <dan at amanah.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> I was just wondering if anyone mirrors their master domain name servers
> as either an exact mirror or a copied mirror for redundancy or load
> balancing.
> We have a couple of Cobalt RaQs which themselves are not hard to setup but
> rather than setting up master and slave nameservers, we would like to setup
> two master servers.  99% of DNS updates would occur on the one server and
> for the most part updating the zone files on the other server is going to
> be handled through a cron job and some scripting using SSH.

> By doing this we hope to acheive the complete redundancy of another master
> server (which would be listed as our secondary, but serves as a mirror on
> another network) rather than a secondary server whose records start to
> expire after 12 hours.

> I've done some searching on both the bind archives as well as Google but
> have only so far been getting hits referencing LDAP.  If anyone could point
> me towards some documentation on either how to do configure mirrored DNS
> masters or what difficulties there are in attempting such a configuration, I
> greatly appreciate it.

> Dan Brown
> dan at amanah.com

If you study the pronciples of dns & bind you will see that it is
 redundant technology.

All that is needed is that whenever a master breaks down you can replace it
within the lifetime of data ( which sets a limit to how short "expire" should be )

What you suggest is not needed and not wanted.

--
Peter Håkanson