Hosting multiple TLDs

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Aug 27 16:18:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:28:10AM -0400, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

> >     gerry> I haven't followed the thread but if the subject is any
> >     gerry> indication of the question then the answer ought to be that
> >     gerry> you don't host TLDs. That is the function of the root
> >     gerry> servers.
> >
> > Er no. Your statement will be a big surprise to the root server
> > operators. The root servers don't "host TLDs". They serve the root
> > zone. Each TLD has its own set of name servers. And apart from .arpa
> > (for historical reasons) no TLD is served or hosted on the root name
> > servers.
>
> Oops ;-( You are right. Still one should not get the idea that
> individual machines can host the TLDs themselves rather they should
> remember that host domains that are members of any TLD.

This is actually a good illustration of why replying in the middle of a
thread is a bad idea.  The original author clarified and corrected her
query long ago, in her next posting.  She wanted to know whether, as
some at her location were insisting, a .edu name server was forbidden
from serving names IN other TLDs.  She was, of course, reinforced in
her conviction that no such prohibition exists.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B