DNS Reverse lookup zone

Andrew Lee gladius at gladius.f9.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 16:28:23 UTC 2003

Hi,

Is it possible for us to provide the reverse lookup for our IP's but for
our ISP to be responsible for the domain names?
We have our own RIPE allocated class C subnets, and our ISP is holding the
mx and other records for our domain, but they say they can't do the reverse
DNS, because the IP's do not belong to them - so we would need to do this
ourselves. Is this possible? Or do we need to do both?
I've read the DNS HOWTO, and from that have worked out how to build a DNS
machine that would be authoritative for all our stuff, but not only to do
the reverse?

hope that makes some sense

cheers

--