DNS Reverse lookup zone

Andrew Lee gladius at gladius.f9.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 13:05:36 UTC 2003

Barry Margolin <barry.margolin at level3.com> a écrit:

> In article <biit19$2rtj$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> Andrew Lee  <gladius at gladius.f9.co.uk> wrote:
>>Is it possible for us to provide the reverse lookup for our IP's but
>>for our ISP to be responsible for the domain names?
>
> Sure.  Just put the reverse domains on your nameservers.  There's no
> built-in relationship between forward and reverse DNS.  They're all
> just ordinary domains as far as the nameservers and resolvers are
> concerned.

Ok, thanks - would I do that like
zone "x.x.x.in-addr.arpa" {
    	type master;
    	file "x.x.x";
};

and then the zone file with
$TTL 1D
@  	IN    	SOA     ns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. (
all the good stuff );
NS  ns1.example.com.
1    	PTR     	mail.example.com.
2     PTR    	mail1.example.com.

or would I need the PTR records to point to my ISP?

I'm a little confused :)

and then would I not have any other zone files in there at all?

> However, it's often a maintenance headache to have different
> organizations maintain the two domains, because it's very easy for
> them to become inconsistent.  ISPs often use software to build the
> forward and reverse domains automatically from the same raw data, so
> they can ensure consistency.

Yeah, that would be the ideal, but they seem rather resistant to that.

>>We have our own RIPE allocated class C subnets, and our ISP is holding
>>the mx and other records for our domain, but they say they can't do
>>the reverse DNS, because the IP's do not belong to them - so we would
>>need to do this ourselves. Is this possible? Or do we need to do both?
>
> They're wrong about not being able to do the reverse DNS.  You should
> be able to have RIPE delegate the reverse DNS to their nameservers.

Ok, that's good to know, I'll try to pursue that, but in the interim advice
on how to set up the ns for just r-lookup would be appreciated

thanks

--
Andrew Lee | gladius at gladius.f9.org.uk \PGP:DC84 FD28 DA8A E38A A9DD|
AVIEN Founding Member |http://avien.org \ID:18A9 AFAD 5422 43F1 4C81|