DNS Reverse lookup zone

Andrew Lee gladius at gladius.f9.co.uk
Fri Aug 29 10:05:24 UTC 2003

Barry Margolin <barry.margolin at level3.com> a écrit:

[snip]

>>and then the zone file with
>>$TTL 1D
>>@       IN         SOA     ns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. (
>>all the good stuff );
>>NS  ns1.example.com.
>>1         PTR          mail.example.com.
>>2     PTR         mail1.example.com.
>>
>>or would I need the PTR records to point to my ISP?
>
> The PTR records should point to your hostnames -- they should just be
> the opposite of the A records that they're maintaining.  So if they
> have:
>
> mail.example.com.  IN A x.x.x.1
> mail1.example.com. IN A x.x.x.2
>
> then your records are correct.

great. Would they then have to add A records for my nameserver?
I.e. how does the rest of the world find my records - this is what
confuses me, if the ISP points an A record at my nameserver, then what
happens when people try to resolve stuff that isn't on my name server?
Do I need to add a forwarder in the options bit?
As you can probably tell, I'm very new to this and am struggling to get
my head around it properly.

>>and then would I not have any other zone files in there at all?
>
> There's usually a boilerplate zone for the 127.in-addr.arpa reverse
> domain.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by this - I have a 127.0.0.zone zone file
with this in.

$TTL 1W
@               IN SOA          ns1.example.com.   hostmaster.example.com.
(
                                1               ; serial (d. adams)
                                8H              ; refresh
                                2H              ; retry
                                4W              ; expiry
                                1D )            ; minimum

                IN NS           ns1.example.com.
1               IN PTR          localhost.

and in named.conf i have

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "127.0.0.zone";