Stange DNS Problem

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Fri Aug 29 18:57:23 UTC 2003

In article <bio6rp$1ab4$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Yogish <yogish.gk at ahsinc.com> wrote:
>Hi
>I some how got the DNS up and running. I can ping all the devices from
>theDNS server, but none of the devices in the network can ping that
>device. How can I enable this DNS such that it will automatically try to
>resolve all the queries when it involves machines within the network. I
>dont want  to got each machine and change the DNS manually. Please let me
>know if anything is possible.

There's no way for a nameserver to "force" all the machines on the LAN to
use it.  They have to be configured to do it.

If you use DHCP to configure the machines on your network, you should be
able to use it to tell them what DNS server to use.  If not, you'll
probably have to change each machine manually.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA