virtual domains and zone files

Andrew andrew at arda.homeunix.net
Mon Dec 1 03:58:44 UTC 2003

Danny Mayer wrote:

> Since you have no A records at all, neither the NS nor the MX records
> are usable. If you are going to deliver mail to arda.homelinux.net you need
> an A record for at least callisto.

I do have A records for io, callisto, and europa. They live in the
arda.homeunix.net zone file.

>BIND 9 should complain about these records.
> I don't see how you could deliver mail to that address unless it's all local to
> that machine or you have host records that you are not telling us about.

No records to speak of in my /etc/hosts files. And I can definitely
deliver mail to addresses using the arda.homelinux.net domain, I just
did it from three of my machines.

> You should have A records for io, europa and callisto.

See above.

> I'm not sure why you are setting the origin. The file would look much
> simpler you

Looks like this sentence got cut short. Too bad because it looks like
this is where you were about to answer my question.

> There's no such thing as a virtual domain. Do you mean private, non-registered?

Virtual domain is common parlance when talking about mail servers. A lot
of discussion takes place about them on the qmail and courier mailing
lists. :)

Andrew