write hostnames to query_logging?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Dec 1 19:58:37 UTC 2003

>>>>> "dassom" == dassom  <needno at spam.nl> writes:

    dassom> hello, I would like to have BIND9.2.1 to write hostnames
    dassom> instead of ip-addresses to the query log. Is this
    dassom> possible?  I have reverse lookup set-up in bind

In software, anything is possible. Within reason. What you've asked
for isn't reasonable. Please think about what you asked. If the server
logged a hostnamw instead of an IP address, it would need to do a
reverse lookup of that address. That would mean making at least
another query, maybe many queries to resolve the reverse lookup. As it
made those queries the server would then have to do a reverse lookup
for its own address to translate its address to a hostname which could
mean even more queries... Get the picture? And that's before you
consider the overhead and delay of resolving those reverse lookups.

BTW, it's anti-social to put nonsense addresses in your To:
header. The newsgroup is gatewayed into a mailing list. Don't do this.
It doesn't help the spam problem either.