Crashing BIND 9.2.3 on W2K - leaves no clues

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Dec 1 20:32:56 UTC 2003

At 12:46 AM 12/1/03, Scott MacLean wrote:
>I have two 9.2.3 installations on W2K server boxes, one primary (master to
>about 100 domains) and one secondary (slave to the master for the domains).
>
>The master runs fine.
>
>The slave, using virtually identical conf files (except for what requires it
>to run as a slave) crashes every few minutes for no reason. Setting up debug
>level logging shows nothing - it's operating fine one moment, the next it is
>starting up again (I have the service set to restart).
>
>Running named -f shows nothing - no output to screen, it functions fine for
>a couple minutes, then returns gracefully with no console output as BIND
>crashes to a halt.

First run this as -g and not -f. -f just runs in the window rather than as
a service.
-g forces all output to the screen. You should have error messages in your
application error log. Do you? What are they?

Was it working before? If you have an error in the master's zone files it will
fail to load the zone after it transfers from the master.

>I'm tearing my hair out over this. Anyone have any ideas?

We need to see the files that are to being transferred and we need to see
what's in the event log.

>My named.conf file:
>
># Start of named.conf
>
>options {
>   directory "\winnt\system32\dns\etc\namedb";           // Working directory

Please use full addresses by including the drive letter. C:, D: or wherever you
put your bind installation. The above path is not fully qualified.

>   pid-file "named.pid";              // Put pid file in working dir
>   allow-query { any; };              // This is the default
>   recursion yes;                     // Provide recursive service
>   allow-notify { (master's IP); };
>   allow-transfer { (master's IP); };
>   listen-on {
>     (slave's IP);
>     127.0.0.1;
>   };
>};
>
>logging {
>   channel "namedlog" {
>     #file "\winnt\system32\dns\etc\logfile.txt" versions 4 size 5M;

You commented out the file name so it's going to the detault. It's also
not a fully qualified path.

Danny