DNS always updating

G Berg gerand at firemail.de
Tue Dec 2 02:59:57 UTC 2003

Hallo!

I hope you can help me with the following problem:
I am running an old Redhat 6.2 box with
bind-8.2.3-0.6.x
bind-utils-9.2.1-0.6x.3
bind-devel-9.2.1-0.6x.3

I have "developed" (more or less) some scripts, which pull data from a
database and generate bind8-zonefiles from it. This works very good. A
cronjob starts every 5 minutes and created temporary zonefiles.

Then he does a diff on the previously generated zonefiles and compares
it to the newly generated one. If they match he does nothing, but if
they do not match he creates the zonesfile from the database.

As I said it works well but the problem is the following:
There are some thousand zones and everytime I reload the bind (so that
he notices the changed) he reads all zonefiles and sends notifies for
them (and there are a lot).

If I do not run my script and just reload the nameserver without having
made any changed to the zonefiles, he just starts and then does nothing.

So my question is: How does bind determine whether changes have taken
place to that he needs to send notifies and reload all the files? I
can't be the filesize or anything like that because the files (after
creating them newly) are 100% the same. The serials match as well.

Do you have any hints?

Thanks in advance.